Tuesday, May 16, 2006

This and That....

1. I haven't yet thanked Gil Student for his gracious plug for this blog (along with that of my neighbor, Ben Chorin) at the recent RCA Convention. Welcome to my new readers. You are invited to subscribe using the Bloglet link on the sidebar.

2. The Makor Rishon article on Lag Ba'Omer was also reported on in Maariv's website and translated here (by Jameel). On the Main Line has an important observation, as well. The use of "שמחת רשב"י" could easily be case of לשון סגי נהור (i.e. a euphemism). I would that יום שמחת is a literal translation of the Aramaic term הילולא. [I'm grateful to Mississippi Fred, but sorry I only saw his observation after I sent in a Letter to the Editor of Makor Rishon. The Friday issue is now closed.]

3. R. Hayyim Navon, a very thoughtful young RaM at Yeshivat Har Etzion, has a respectful (but firm) response to the Reform movement.

2 comments:

Jameel @ The Muqata said...

Thanks for the gracious hattip :)

I'll have to add you to my blogroll.

Jameel.
The Muqata

Mississippi Fred MacDowell said...

Thanks for the acknowledgement. : )