Sunday, October 19, 2008

On Srugim and Modern Orthodoxy


Tonite, at 230 AM, I will be giving a shiur on some of the pressing religious issues raised in the series Srugim. The point of departure will be the exchanges between Hodaya and her niece, Shvut, and between Hodaya and Dov Elbaum (episode 15 20:15-23:12), which will be screened at the shiur. Among these will be the superficiality of religious belief, doubt as a religious category, and Pan-Halakhism. I will leave time for questions.

Asuming that people can see straight at that hour, we will also look at this text from the Rambam,
(הלכות מעילה ח, ח), available here.

The shiur will take place as part of Maale's annual Tikkun Leyl Hoshana Rabba at Heichal Shlomo in Jerusalem. Those who are sleepy, I plan to awake.

See you there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I was not able to make it to the speech. Can you post the general outline or possibly a recording?

TIA

Lurker said...

I enjoyed the shiur very much. Do you know if Maale is planning on putting it on line (it was filmed, if I'm not mistaken), or making it available for download?

Anonymous said...

I also ran out of gas well before 2:30 and would love to hear a recording!!!!